Krista's Story

Please click here to read about Krista's wonderful life.......

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Impressions of Krista....A Note From Mom

This was the piece that Evelyn wrote and read at Krista's Memorial Service.....

 
 Just born… little bow lips… in the shape of an “O” with a sweet dimple on one cheek. Perhaps “OM”?  I ached to hold you and they kept you so long from me in the hospital… that was the reason I chose home births later on.

I hear you say your first word….  “pretty”  not mama or dada… that was to foreshadow your love of beautiful bling things.

I see you at two…  elbow deep in bread dough with flour on your nose. Just a hint of the great creative cook you would become.

I see you at four years old at the kitchen sink helping wash just harvested tomatoes for canning…  Always ready to join in and help…Your pants got wet from the sloshing so you just took them off and continued with your chore…  bare assed… we have a sweet photo of that!

I see you at five in the chamomile patch plucking the little daisy heads and collecting them for our tea. You knew all the names of the herbs and would take visitors for a tour. How impressed they were as you named purslane, borage, chives, peppermint and so on.

I see you learning how to pet the bees with Grandma Mamms.

I see you lovingly holding your little brother when he was born and help cut the cord when your sister arrived.

I see you at 7 finally found after a frantic hour of searching thinking you had been taken by a store patron.  We find you fast asleep in your sister’s baby carriage on the front porch… You had chosen it for a cozy hiding place while playing hid ‘n seek. 

I see you sitting at the top of the stair, sleepy and rubbing your eyes, crying that it was all smoky upstairs and low and behold, you had awakened us all and saved your siblings from smoke inhalation from mom’s burning Thanksgiving turkey soup pot that she had forgotten on the stove.

I see you at your birthday party leaping into the air to swat the butterfly piñata that we had made together hanging in the apple tree.

I see you reading… and reading… and reading… and watch you fall in love with books, and words and Film and Learning. I marvel at the story ideas that flow from you. I think you must have gotten your love of words from Grandma Betsy.

I see you run, jump, swim, skate, swing, dance, sing, play the piano and ride horses … a person of action.

I see you at the emergency room telling the doctor that yes, indeed there is a splinter in your foot… he can’t see anything… you insist and bravely endure immense pain as he pokes around until finally a one inch piece of wood is removed to his surprise.  Unfortunately, it wouldn’t be the last time doctors would disappoint you.

I see you fall in love with horses and later boys… the horse was more worthy of your love then most of the boys until Brendan…

I see you work hard and diligently from the age of 14… first as a camp counselor and lifeguard and then holding down two jobs while in college…

I see you graduate from college and wearing Grandpa Biznonno’s sneakers to commencement.   You knew how much he would have loved to have gone to school.  He never went to school so you honored him on your big day and took him along.

I see you traveling about, in the US and abroad… and everywhere you go you tell me stories of people stopping you on the street to ask for directions… and surprisingly you’d give them as though you’d been there all your life.  

I see you laugh and sometimes get frustrated because people frequently try to guess your heritage, your origins… you’ve been asked are you East Indian, Native American, Asian, what are you anyway? You look people in the eyes and see and embrace the best in all people.

I could go on and on… You’ve given me so many memories to cherish… from the most wonderful to the most heartbreaking…

Thanks for raising your voice in song with me, and for planting the garden with me all those years. I will find you in every melody and see you in every fruit and flower, especially your beautiful dahlias.

Krista, we disagreed, argued, and battled it out as you and I both grew up together… mom and daughter…  I taught you lots but you taught me too. And I thank you for helping me learn more about myself. I am better for having loved you… and so proud to be your mom.

May you be peaceful, May you be happy, May you be safe, May you now see the light of your own true nature, May you be free.  Namaste,  my sweet Krista.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words! Krista and Brendan and the rest of the family are so grateful for all of the love and support that is being shown. Thank you.